Drobo Forums
One 5N - 2 instances in Sierra Finder - Printable Version

+- Drobo Forums (http://www.drobospace.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Drobo (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NAS Products (/forumdisplay.php?fid=61)
+---- Forum: Drobo 5N (/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+---- Thread: One 5N - 2 instances in Sierra Finder (/showthread.php?tid=147088)

One 5N - 2 instances in Sierra Finder - drobo@dontsendjunk.com - 11-01-2016 10:12 PM

New to Mac; using Sierra. I have one Drobo 5N. In the sidebar of Finder it shows up twice - once as Drobo5N and once as its IP address. The IP address has a question mark beside it. Also there are 3 shares defined on the Drobo. The Drobo5N instance in Finder has an eject button on one of the shares. The IP address instance has eject buttons on the other 2 shares only. Is this normal?

RE: One 5N - 2 instances in Sierra Finder - tom521 - 11-06-2016 07:11 AM

I have the same weird thing - sometimes. If I use Final Cut Pro, I sometimes get the added icons. It would seem the SMB support on Macs with Sierra is, um, flaky...

The data transfer rates can be flaky as well - sometimes fast, sometimes slow. Mysterious; not fun and sometimes not usable.

It would be lovely if Drobo paid some attention to this.

At one time, their tech support said they'd have an answer, but after a response or two they disappeared. Sigh.

RE: One 5N - 2 instances in Sierra Finder - alececco - 11-29-2016 08:29 AM

the new firmware was supposed to take care of that but it dosent. i have 3.5.12 and it still has two drabs. One with a question mark

RE: One 5N - 2 instances in Sierra Finder - r.sheffield@operando.com - 01-11-2017 09:11 AM

Yep...same here!

Drobo said just reboot the machine. Of course, that makes no difference.

RE: One 5N - 2 instances in Sierra Finder - sboydman - 01-13-2017 09:55 PM

It may be worth a try to open Preferences in the Finder Menu and click the "Sidebar" icon. Then uncheck and recheck the entries listed under the "Shared" category - especially "Connected Servers". That action may clear and reload the configuration for the connected servers, and resolve duplicated entries.

Good Luck.

RE: One 5N - 2 instances in Sierra Finder - gvansteelant - 01-14-2017 03:52 AM

(01-13-2017 09:55 PM)sboydman Wrote:  It may be worth a try to open Preferences in the Finder Menu and click the "Sidebar" icon. Then uncheck and recheck the entries listed under the "Shared" category - especially "Connected Servers". That action may clear and reload the configuration for the connected servers, and resolve duplicated entries.

Good Luck.

Unchecking and rechecking the 'Connected Servers' item doesn't help on my system. The IP-version of the Drobo just reappears when I check the item again.

RE: One 5N - 2 instances in Sierra Finder - sboydman - 01-14-2017 04:02 PM

Wanted to ask, any other Macs on the network. Sometimes its helpful to compare behaviors of different computers regarding the same issue.

Maybe trying a different, static IP address, assigned either in the Drobo Desktop, or you router configuration (assigned by the Drobo's MAC address)?

Not sure if that will help, but at least it would check out the possibilities.

The only other thoughts that I come up with would be an uninstall and reinstall of the Drobo Desktop, and a clean install of macOS (I doubt that an upgrade reinstall would fix the issue, but it only takes about an hour to do, so it might be worth a try.) Sometimes only a clean install of the OS onto a newly formatted hard drive or partition is the only thing that will do the trick. I once had a Mac that Drobo Desktop could not connect, but other networked Macs had no issues. A clean reinstall was the only way I could correct the problem (not that there couldn't have been another way, I just was not able to troubleshoot it out.)

Again, good luck.

RE: One 5N - 2 instances in Sierra Finder - alp - 01-18-2017 05:26 AM

Hi there,

I'm experiencing the same issue with sierra. I can sometimes see the correct Drobo icon (can't make out why), but most of the time there is a monitor symbol with Drobo5N along with the IP address and the question mark beside it. Weired thing. No idea why. The monitor symbol seems to represent a connection to Drobo5N, which is inactive by default. It needs a manual log in with name and password. Two connections then. Buy one, get one free Wink

Anybody with the same problem, solution to it or a workaround?

RE: One 5N - 2 instances in Sierra Finder - poltergeister - 01-18-2017 08:20 AM

This is caused by checking to mount share in the 'shares' preferences in drobo dashboard. If you uncheck all of the mounts the IP 'volume' disappears from your available shared volumes in Mac sidebar.

'forcing' the mount seems to do weird things to other sidebar share. Sometimes they reflect the same access sometimes not. It is unclear though as I'm not going to do debugging on this device for the company.

I have set the ip to be fixed, not dynamically addressed for this device, wonder if that has effect.

The IP issue does not show up on all attached Mac computers when a share 'mount' is checked. I have two Macs and only one does this.

I installed latest firmware and no change.

RE: One 5N - 2 instances in Sierra Finder - sboydman - Yesterday 07:45 PM

poltergeister makes a very good point regarding the mounting of Drobo shares. I always choose to mount Drobo shares in the Finder app, rather than mounting using the Drobo Desktop. The format of the mount command is as follows:

To mount a share using Apple Filing Protocol (AFP), on the Finder menu, click "Go", then click "Connect to Server". then enter the following Server Address: "afp://<DroboName>.local/<ShareName>"
(If <ShareName> is omitted, a dialog box listing the available shares will be presented for making manual selections)
At present, AFP is required for using a share with Time Machine, but this may soon change (?) with the phasing in of the Apple Filing System (APFS) that is scheduled for release in 2017. Also note that if you use Time Machine shares with your Drobo, once the proper setup and credentials for the share are entered into Time Machine, the share will be "auto-mounted" by macOS when required.

To mount share using the SMB protocol, use "smb://<DroboName>.local/<ShareName>"

RE: One 5N - 2 instances in Sierra Finder - poltergeister - Yesterday 10:13 PM

drobo says the issue is with IPv6 addressing. needs to be turned off on system. On Mac it is difficult to turn off completely, and has to be done thru terminal for each service that is being used, wifi, ethernet, etc. It is turned off on my router, but this may also need to be turned off.
networksetup -setv6off Wi-Fi (replace Wi-Fi with the name of the active interface)
but it doesn't like 'Ethernet 2' as name for service, so I'm a bit stuck. Wildcards for space don't work either.