Drobo Forums
Red and Green blinking lights - Printable Version

+- Drobo Forums (http://www.drobospace.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Drobo (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Drobo (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Red and Green blinking lights (/showthread.php?tid=147406)

Red and Green blinking lights - ndcheryl - 01-08-2017 02:07 PM

Sometime this weekend my my Drobo (4 Bay) starting blinking all 4 bays red and green. The Dashboard does not recognize my Drobo and it does not appear anywhere on My Computer. My second 4 bay Drobo and is fine and recognized. Need some help on what may have happened and what I can do to fix this, Thank you.

Cheryl

RE: Red and Green blinking lights - Paul - 01-09-2017 03:06 PM

hi cheryl,
can i check in case these lights are possibly flashing amber and green? (if so, your drobo could have experienced a drive failure and rebuilding at the moment). It could be something else, though would be good to confirm the above first before trying other things, just as some other users have also mentioned amber as red or orange too.

RE: Red and Green blinking lights - ndcheryl - 01-10-2017 10:16 AM

not sure I can tell the difference. Looks red to me. They are all flashing not just one. Has been going on for at least 3 days but contains a huge number of images-7 blue dots worth. Have not recently changed anything. Dashboard does not recognoze that it is attached

RE: Red and Green blinking lights - Paul - 01-11-2017 04:25 PM

thanks for more info cheryl,
if it is still blinking like that with green as well, i think it may be doing its rebuild. are you able to leave it a bit more to see if it completes on its own? (if you can remember how much data you had on your drobo, for example how many TerraBytes you had, we could try to work out how much more time it might need to keep flashing like that)

for example, it usually takes about 1 day per 1TB of data that you have on it, to do a rebuild/recovery.
(the 7 blue dots probably indicate that your drobo was only about 70% full, so if you are not sure how much data you had on it, but in case you can remember what size of drives you had inside it, we could probably still work it out that way too)

am just trying to see if we can wait a mimimum amount of time, just in case it's rebuilding, before we try something else. (by the way when a drobo rebuilds, it can in some rarer cases, become unavailable to the computer or dashboard, and usually returns again after all lights have stopped blinking and are solid lights, ideally green)

RE: Red and Green blinking lights - ndcheryl - 01-14-2017 01:07 PM

Paul,

The lights are still blinking so it has been a week. The drives are probably all 1 or 2 TB each.

RE: Red and Green blinking lights - Paul - 01-16-2017 07:49 PM

thanks cheryl, sorry i couldnt get into the forum on friday.

if we use 2TB as the drive sizes, that probably works out like this:
2TB x4 drives = 8TB max capacity
8TB -2TB (for Single Drive Redundancy SDR) = 6TB actual capacity

(its actually a bit less, as the drobo uses a bit for filesystem overhead, and you also only had about 70% used, but under usual circumstances, it probably would have needed about 5 days)

if it is still flashing those lights, and you can wait a little bit more say another couple of days please if you can...
and in case you can not wait anymore, can you try exiting dashboard, and restarting dashboard to see if dashboard can find it again.

and then if not found, can you try shutting down the computer and when that has fully shut down, to wait about 5 minutes to see if the drobo still continues doing what it is doing, and if it does continue, can you then please remove the data connection cable from the mac and drobo.

If the drobo does stop, (or if the drobo does not stop what it is doing), then you could try to power it off, and to wait 5 minutes, and then to turn it back on again to see what it does...
for example, does it boot up as normal (with the blue led lights lighting up from 1 through to 10 (usually filling up from right to left) and then does the drobo go into standby mode, (since it is not connected to a computer) or does it continue doing its Red and Green flashing?

RE: Red and Green blinking lights - ndcheryl - 01-18-2017 07:04 PM

I will give it until Fri or Sat. thanks. i will let you know what happens

RE: Red and Green blinking lights - Paul - 01-18-2017 10:08 PM

(ok thanks cheryl)