Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
CrashPlan Drobo App
04-04-2017, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2017 04:48 PM by ktwitten.)
RE: CrashPlan Drobo App
I'm know that this is a total noob question, but I'm trying to setup CrashPlan on my Drobo5N and I can't find the .ui_info file on my drobo.

I had no trouble finding the ui.properties file.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2017, 07:47 AM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2017 08:05 AM by ccauser.)
RE: CrashPlan Drobo App
(10-18-2016 02:05 PM)ricardo Wrote:  
(10-16-2016 08:01 AM)mitch2 Wrote:  Will we see a new backup vendor supported by Drobo in the future?

I don't have any official statement, but I'm doing as much lobbying with Drobo as I can towards that goal.

If you want to make that happen, please do leave a comment below indicating:

1) How much would you be willing to pay per month/year?
2) Would you be fine with a pay-per-usage model?
3) What features would you like to have with such a backup feature?

My answers:

1) I'd love to keep it in the USD 60/year like Crashplan.
2) Yes, as long as the cost per TB is reasonable. I'd probably spend than USD 60/year less since my backup set is only a few hundred GB.
3) Drobo-to-drobo and/or cloud-based, local encryption, deduplication (to save on bandwidth).

I'll use your answers to support my "petition" with Drobo. Smile

Too bad CrashPlan stops uploading. I wonder if the app remains working for a Drobo-to-Drobo situation? That is the reason my dad and I both bought a Drobo5N: to backup to the other Drobo.

To answer the questions of Ricardo:
1) For my situation (Drobo-to-Drobo): nothing. I'm not using an external cloud;
2) I think pay-per-usage is fair, but the cost per TB has to be reasonable. Perhaps first TB free, pay for more?
3) Drobo-to-Drobo, backup to cloud, local encryption, compression (standard formats, to reduce backup size), automation, (date)check on previous backups (so one can restore a backup from xx days ago, or delete backups older than xx days/weeks/months), easy restore individual files and folders.
Apart from the Drobo-to-cloud search, are there alternatives for the Drobo-to-offsite Drobo backup?
CrashPlan did a great job so far. On one Drobo5N CrashPlan still seems to work (although Drobo Dashboard says it's no longer supported). The offsite Drobo5N had to be reset and no longer shows the app.

Is there a way (and does it make sense) to manually install the CrashPlan app on the second (and offsite) Drobo?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply