Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
When Drobo Time Machine becomes full...
02-17-2016, 11:00 AM
RE: When Drobo Time Machine becomes full...
(02-16-2016 02:50 PM)Paul Wrote:  ...(ideally, time machine would simply provide a config setting, so that users can say "back-up up to this line, and no further) Smile

Thanks for the links, Paul. I'll check those out.

You couldn't be more right about the ability (or lack thereof) to set a limit on Time Machine's backup range. Ridiculous that after all this time such a simple thing hasn't been implemented.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2016, 06:48 PM
ok sure - hopefully they can help a bit, (and for the timemachine ability, if its not there in the code yet then it might just be a case of innovation or simplification vs procrastination) Big Grin

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-03-2017, 05:44 PM
I have just hit the wall with Time Machine on my Drobo 5D. I had set up this Drobo as dedicated to backups, and pointed Time Machine to it. I also put a few other archive files on it.
When I got the red alert "Drobo is critically low on capacity" message I moved out some of the other large files. To my dismay the full condition persists.
While exploring Drobo Dashboard I discovered the facility for creating a fixed-size partition for Time Machine. That is great, but how do I get there from here?
Do I have to throw away my existing Time Machine archive, reformat the Drobo, create the partition and start over? Is there any way to save my existing backups?
I have a second backup off-site with CrashPlan, so saving the Time Machine archive isn't critical, it would just be convenient.
01-04-2017, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2017 06:44 PM by Paul.)
hi dandugan,
am not sure if you saw the links on the 1st page, though i think there is a way to move a previously created time machine backup. that pondini site might have the info too, though it might need to be carried out in a certain way with command lines but i do not have a mac to know for sure. If you are low on space currently though, then i think you still need to copy the time machine backup files onto another, separate drive (such as the internal computer drive or another external drive with a similar filesystem), and then to essentially move it there once happy with the command or procedure, and then to copy it back onto the new, time machine area.
maybe while you wait for confirmation, you could start finding a drive to copy to in the meantime?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)