Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drive troubleshooting/maintenance?
08-16-2014, 04:47 PM
Drive troubleshooting/maintenance?
Hi everyone,

I've got three Drobo devices (a 2nd gen, an S, and a Mini) which haven't let me down yet.

However, when I connect my Drobo S to my Windows machine, the OS reports a file corruption. (I'm not with the device right now, so I don't have the full message on hand.)

Two questions:

1) How do you go about troubleshooting an error like this?

2) Is there any sort of preventative maintenance that can be done to ensure that drives are working properly? I recall someone on these forums a couple of years ago mentioning that they remove each drive and run Spinrite software on them periodically. Is something like that a good idea?

[L]”
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-17-2014, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2014 03:48 PM by Zbig.)
RE: Drive troubleshooting/maintenance?
chkdsk is a standard Windows tool for diagnostics and repair of the filesystem errors. Run chkdsk followed by the Drobo drive letter in the default read-only mode first and then chkdsk /r chkdsk /f if prompted to. Just remember not to run it in its full surface scan mode (/r) on any kind of Drobo device.

As for the Spinrite voodoo - my opinion is no, don't waste your time with that.
09-17-2014, 06:56 PM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2014 07:01 PM by Paul.)
hi just to check... did you mean to say chkdsk /x
? and not /r?
(08-17-2014 07:57 AM)Zbig Wrote:  chkdsk is a standard Windows tool for diagnostics and repair of the filesystem errors. Run chkdsk followed by the Drobo drive letter in the default read-only mode first and then chkdsk /r if prompted to. Just remember not to run it in its full surface scan mode (/r) on any kind of Drobo device.

btw i think the latest version of spinrite can only process a certain amount of gigabytes, and as far as i know, steve is planning to create a new version 7 which can support the "norm" of drives nowadays, eg into the TB's range.

if my understanding is correct, and if you're using 1tb drives or more now, then spinrite wouldnt be able to scan your whole disk just part of it.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
09-18-2014, 12:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2014 03:51 PM by Zbig.)
(09-17-2014 06:56 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi just to check... did you mean to say chkdsk /x
? and not /r?

No, I did mean /r. This option tries to go thorough all the available sectors, reading them and flagging bad these which couldn't be read. And as the Drobo usually has less physical capacity than the OS "thinks" it has, you're asking for trouble forcing Drobo to provide OS with contents of all of the virtual sectors.
My bad, I rushed this post and possibly caused more confusion than any good. What I really meant: Do use chkdsk /f when prompted. Don't use chkdsk /r on a Drobo, ever.

(09-17-2014 06:56 PM)Paul Wrote:  btw i think the latest version of spinrite can only process a certain amount of gigabytes, and as far as i know, steve is planning to create a new version 7 which can support the "norm" of drives nowadays, eg into the TB's range.

Don't hold your breath.
09-24-2014, 08:22 AM
thanks zbig for the clarification, i misunderstood before.

regarding v7, (insert blowfish smiley face here) Big Grin

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
09-28-2014, 07:35 PM
(08-17-2014 07:57 AM)Zbig Wrote:  chkdsk is a standard Windows tool for diagnostics and repair of the filesystem errors. Run chkdsk followed by the Drobo drive letter in the default read-only mode first and then chkdsk /r if prompted to. Just remember not to run it in its full surface scan mode (/r) on any kind of Drobo device.

You meant, I am sure, to say chkdsk /f if prompted. Never use /r on a Drobo.

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
09-29-2014, 03:45 PM
(09-28-2014 07:35 PM)mgriffin34 Wrote:  You meant, I am sure, to say chkdsk /f if prompted. Never use /r on a Drobo.

Of course I meant /f, sorry for that! I was already thinking of the next sentence where I warn against using /r and only made things worse. Now I understand Paul's confusion. Once again, sorry for that, everyone!