Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
iTunes hosting on Drobo issue
11-21-2015, 12:21 PM
iTunes hosting on Drobo issue
Hi guys-

I use my Drobo mainly as my music storage and playback device. Every couple days though, when I go to my computer, I get this error message:

"The folder containing "iTunes Library" cannot be found, and is required. Please choose or create a new iTunes library"

Now, I've gotten this message before for valid reasons-like when I didn't have my external drive mounted that was hosted my iTunes back in the day. But my Drobo mini is always on, so I'm confused as to what's causing this hiccup.

Has anyone else had to deal with this, and if so, what was the fix?

Just to be super clear, when I see that error, I click "ok" on it, the launch iTunes again, which launches just fine: my Drobo is still showing as mounted, and everything works.

I'm running OS X El Cap.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-23-2015, 12:02 PM
RE: iTunes hosting on Drobo issue
hi, it might be something to do with waking up...
can i check if you have anything going to sleep, suspend, hibernation, or some control panel Power settings that are going to sleep after a certain duration in minutes for example?

when you get that message, were you actually away from the computer and not using it or drobo leading up to that message?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
11-23-2015, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2015 12:15 PM by splitsurround.)
(11-23-2015 12:02 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi, it might be something to do with waking up...
can i check if you have anything going to sleep, suspend, hibernation, or some control panel Power settings that are going to sleep after a certain duration in minutes for example?

when you get that message, were you actually away from the computer and not using it or drobo leading up to that message?

Thanks Paul.- I have the same theory. But according to my settings, my computer is never supposed to go to sleep- just turn off the monitor. I'll check again, but I'm 99% sure I confirmed this last time I looked into this problem.

And the error NEVER ONCE has occurred while I was using the computer, which adds even more credence to your theory. It's frustrating.
Interesting- I just checked again and there was a box checked in my system preferences about enabling "power naps". I'm not completely sure of what this affects, but I've turned it off- hopefully it's smooth sailing from here on out. Thanks for the advice, I'll check back in after some time goes by.
11-23-2015, 12:28 PM
ah ok, yes fingers crossed it was that setting - lets see how it goes, but for now, a power nap sounds rather nice lol Big Grin

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)