Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Apple File System in testing
10-27-2016, 07:37 PM
New Apple File System in testing
What happens when Apple changes from the current HFS+ format to a new Apple File System? Will Drobo support it? How does the array upgrade to the new format without losing data?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-28-2016, 04:36 PM
RE: New Apple File System in testing
Given that at this point no one has concrete, deep technical information about the new Apple File System, I believe that the question "How does the array upgrade to the new format without losing data?" is a little bit premature.

Furthermore, unless Apple themselves allow for the conversion of an HFS+ file system to the new file format, there is little that Drobo (or anyone, really) can do. If Apple's recommendation is to reformat and copy the data over, then unfortunately that's it.

I think it is safe to assume that Apple won't simply drop HFS+ like a hot potato the day that AFS is released, so all devices currently formatted as HFS+ will still be accessible. In other words, nothing will change for your Drobo as it currently is.

In my opinion the only real question is how well will AFS be supported on Drobo devices when a brand new volume is created, especially given the thin-provisioning nature of the device. I'm sure that Drobo is keeping an eye on it, since Mac users are a significant part of their demographics.

Tap the full potential of the Drobo FS/5N with DroboApps.
To receive the latest updates about my DroboApps circle me on Google Plus.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply