Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
One 5N - 2 instances in Sierra Finder
01-19-2017, 10:13 PM
RE: One 5N - 2 instances in Sierra Finder
drobo says the issue is with IPv6 addressing. needs to be turned off on system. On Mac it is difficult to turn off completely, and has to be done thru terminal for each service that is being used, wifi, ethernet, etc. It is turned off on my router, but this may also need to be turned off.
networksetup -setv6off Wi-Fi (replace Wi-Fi with the name of the active interface)
but it doesn't like 'Ethernet 2' as name for service, so I'm a bit stuck. Wildcards for space don't work either.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2017, 11:05 AM
The thought that comes to my mind is that some app (or system) configuration is accessing a Drobo resource by IP rather than by name. The appearance of the eject icon next to the IP entry would imply that. That might also explain why only one of the Mac machines is doing this. My suggestion is to disable all startup apps and turn off TimeMachine (if you're using that) and reboot. Add the features back in until the IP address appears (and I'm guessing it'll have an eject icon with it).

Alternatively, you can run through various apps' and system settings to make sure it isn't accessing the Drobo by IP. You may try removing and re-adding Drobo resources by apps/system settings, just to be sure.

TimeMachine is the only setting on my machine that logs in and attaches automatically. I would guess that backup and/or anti-virus apps might be capable of the same kind of feature.

Just some ideas.
02-02-2017, 08:45 PM
(01-19-2017 10:13 PM)poltergeister Wrote:  drobo says the issue is with IPv6 addressing. needs to be turned off on system. On Mac it is difficult to turn off completely, and has to be done thru terminal for each service that is being used, wifi, ethernet, etc. It is turned off on my router, but this may also need to be turned off.
networksetup -setv6off Wi-Fi (replace Wi-Fi with the name of the active interface)
but it doesn't like 'Ethernet 2' as name for service, so I'm a bit stuck. Wildcards for space don't work either.

Drobo has added some great updates to their devices recently, including increasing device capacity from 16 to 64 TB. Perhaps there is some future plan for Drobo firmware and Desktop versions that will add full support for IPV6 addressing? Any comments from the Drobo Support team members?
02-07-2017, 05:17 PM
(01-19-2017 10:13 PM)poltergeister Wrote:  drobo says the issue is with IPv6 addressing. needs to be turned off on system. On Mac it is difficult to turn off completely, and has to be done thru terminal for each service that is being used, wifi, ethernet, etc. It is turned off on my router, but this may also need to be turned off.

This was a huge help for my Apple devices, browsing my shares is very quick now. Now I just need to work out what is causing this same problem on my popcornhour a-400. It doesn't support IPv6, so I am thinking it is possibly and issue with the samba client version it is running???