Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo 5c is very very slow
03-07-2017, 09:17 AM
RE: Drobo 5c is very very slow
(03-04-2017 03:52 AM)joeyvaldezjr Wrote:  HI! I'm new here and just started using the drobo 5c. I though I follow on from this post than creating a new thread. I have connected the Drobo 5c to my 2016 Macbook Pro Thunderbolt 3 port.

I'm transferring files at the moment but the write speed is only around 22-26 MB/s. Read speed is around 28-30MB/s. This is based on the Black Magic Disk Speed Test.

I currently have 2 x 4TB WD Red Drives.

Main reason I went for a DAS is because I think it would be much faster than getting a NAS. But I think the current read/write speeds should be much better than this.

I also have a 3TB G-tech Thunderbolt 2 and write speed is around 90-100MB/s and read speed at 70-100 MB/s.

No issued reported on the Drobo dashboard.

Hope someone here can help. Thanks!

Hello there -
This sounds like a cable issue or the port you are connecting to is USB2. The following knowledge base article may be helpful:
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01937
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2017, 02:41 PM
[/quote]

Hello there -
This sounds like a cable issue or the port you are connecting to is USB2. The following knowledge base article may be helpful:
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01937
[/quote]

Thanks DroboMod and Paul for the response.

I connected my Drobo 5c directly to my 15" macbook pro 2016, so definitely is a USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port.

I have changed the cable to a true USBC-Cable now which can do charge, power and transfer. Apparently , the Apple cable can only do charging.

I'm getting intermittent speeds now though. Average speed I get now is around 70-80 MBs. I do get speed readings of 35MB/s and 110 MB/s at times too. Are these acceptable numbers?
03-08-2017, 06:55 PM
hi joey, 70-80 is pretty good i think.
some other aspects in general can cause higher or lower speeds, for example working with lots of tiny files, can be slower as there is more overhead associated with those (even on an internal computer etc), and fewer larger files are usually going to get better speeds, but maybe another test you could try, is to try copying a very large file from drobo to computer, to see what the speed is, and then you could try going the other way afterwards.

this way, the file will be large enough to give a good and more stable reading, and it will last longer (by way of needing much more time to complete), and less likely to show up as burst mode transfers which can often be see with smaller files which might be much smaller than the slowest speed.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
03-09-2017, 08:04 AM
I'm setting up a 5c, have a 4bay Gen 3 also, and getting the same issue as the original poster. The 4 bay transfers fine/faster but the 5c is in the 15-20MB/sec range. 5 drives, all the same, Ironwolf 4TB, all new.
Tried switching ports, no better.
Tried a different machine, no better.

Is there nothing from Drobo on the 5c saying there is a problem? Seems a bit widespread.....
03-10-2017, 09:31 PM
hi darkfalz,
can i check if the iron wolf(s) were a new addition or upgrade? if a drive was swapped out and replaced, or if a drive failed (or a new one was added) for example, some internal processes would take place. if you happened to do something like that recently, it may just be that the drobo is verifying data or optimising things in the background and that it will settle down after some time?

btw can i check if your drobo main unit (and dashboard) are showing all solid lights, ideally green, or is anything flashing?

also, if you can have a look in dashboard, can you see any individual drive information to see if there are any message labels such as Warning of Healed for a drive?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
03-10-2017, 09:40 PM
The 5c has 5 brand new Ironwolf drives.
I've connected the 5c to a different PC with USB 3 and yet again it gave 20MB/sec. No drives show any health issues.

I'm fairly sure it's something with the Drobo 5c. From the sound of it others are having the same issues so I'm suspecting it's nothing to do with the drives but rather anot issue with the 5c itself.

(03-10-2017 09:31 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi darkfalz,
can i check if the iron wolf(s) were a new addition or upgrade? if a drive was swapped out and replaced, or if a drive failed (or a new one was added) for example, some internal processes would take place. if you happened to do something like that recently, it may just be that the drobo is verifying data or optimising things in the background and that it will settle down after some time?

btw can i check if your drobo main unit (and dashboard) are showing all solid lights, ideally green, or is anything flashing?

also, if you can have a look in dashboard, can you see any individual drive information to see if there are any message labels such as Warning of Healed for a drive?
03-10-2017, 10:06 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 10:07 PM by Paul.)
thanks for the info,
you could right for sure, and i recently read some other threads that mentioned iron wolf too (it may not be that, but maybe over time we can find out some more trends etc)...

in the meantime can i check how much data you have on your drobo currently and if you only just set it up, it may be doing some optimisation (or space reclamation if data was deleted recently)?

another test that you could try, could be to try it on the same machine where the other drobo seems to work fine (though without the other drobo connected - just in case there is a usb conflict in some way, and possibly with a different cable as well, just in case the cable had a problem?)

also when you mention the speed test, i was wondering how were you doing the test?

a few other things could also be to check if the latest versions of dashboard and firmware are used (and when setting up a new drobo, is usually a good thing to update to the latest before you start properly using your drobo), and possibly checking if the usb drives are also up to date - though i would probably also try to leave it running over night for example to see if things are better the next day?

03-10-2017, 10:19 PM
It's got the latest firmware and dashboard software.
Tried it without drobo 4bay attached and it made no difference.
Tried on a different PC with no difference.
Tried it with new/empty drives but was slow. Did not remove 1 drive at a time to check each drive as it wasn't practical to do so.
I was just going by what Windows tells me for speed. My 4bay is 3 or 4 times faster (at minimum) than the new 5c.

(03-10-2017 10:06 PM)Paul Wrote:  thanks for the info,
you could right for sure, and i recently read some other threads that mentioned iron wolf too (it may not be that, but maybe over time we can find out some more trends etc)...

in the meantime can i check how much data you have on your drobo currently and if you only just set it up, it may be doing some optimisation (or space reclamation if data was deleted recently)?

another test that you could try, could be to try it on the same machine where the other drobo seems to work fine (though without the other drobo connected - just in case there is a usb conflict in some way, and possibly with a different cable as well, just in case the cable had a problem?)

also when you mention the speed test, i was wondering how were you doing the test?

a few other things could also be to check if the latest versions of dashboard and firmware are used (and when setting up a new drobo, is usually a good thing to update to the latest before you start properly using your drobo), and possibly checking if the usb drives are also up to date - though i would probably also try to leave it running over night for example to see if things are better the next day?
03-13-2017, 11:02 AM
Mine was connecting at USB 2.0 speed until I flipped the USB-C cable upside down on the back. It's very fast now. Confirmed it's connecting at 3.0 speeds using USBTreeView - http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html
03-13-2017, 08:27 PM
hi uberben, ive heard of some micro flip cables but can usb-c be flipped?

btw darkfalz, do you happen to also have any scanning (av or search cataloging programs set to index the drobo volumes, like on windows, or spotlight on mac?)