Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo critically low on capacity
01-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Drobo critically low on capacity
I am running a Drobo S on a Mac OSSierra system. I have total disk storage 9TB which reports as 6.16TB available capacity under the Dashboard. Looking at the files stored on the Drobo this amounts to less than 4.5TB. That being the case why am I getting a red light on the smallest !TB disk & Dashboard reporting I have used all but 98% (6TB) of the available storage?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2017, 05:12 PM
RE: Drobo critically low on capacity
hi spk,
would you be able to post back with some more info about the drives and sizes you are using when you get a chance?

for example, do you have drives such as these: 3x2TB and 3x1TB (in single, SDR drive redundancy mode?)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-17-2017, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2017 10:32 AM by spk10128.)
I have 4 x 2 TB & 1TB thus a total of 9TB in drive terms. Confirm the Drobo is set for SDR

Thanks for your assistance on this

(01-11-2017 05:12 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi spk,
would you be able to post back with some more info about the drives and sizes you are using when you get a chance?

for example, do you have drives such as these: 3x2TB and 3x1TB (in single, SDR drive redundancy mode?)
01-18-2017, 09:22 PM
thanks for the info spok10128,
with this in mind, it looks like you have the following drives set-up:

2TB + 2TB + 2TB +2TB + 1TB = 9TB Raw capacity
9TB - 2TB (for sdr using an equivalent size of your largest drive) = 7TB Actual
7TB (*0.9 for filesystem overheads) = ~6.3TB available (though probably better at just over 5.9 used)

the 6TB you mention above, seems to match ok, and i think at around 5.9TB used will be the mark where it is 95% used.... it is this 95% used which is the threashold for showing a solid red light, usually on the smallest drive (which matches up with your 1TB drive being marked in this way if i understood correctly)

there is another Yellow threshold which shows a solid Yellow when you get to about 85% used, though am just wondering if you could double check how much data you actually have on your drobo, and also whether the blue lights on the bottom are almost all lit up, possibly 9 or all 10 for you currently?

for example, where did did the 4.5TB used, come from? (are there possibly any other volumes containing data, or maybe some other hidden files and folders taking up space on your drobo?

could you also check what values dashboard shows you for Used space and how many volumes it sees? (you could also try taking some screenshots and posting to imgur or similar, with links pasted to them back here if you like, though if you do that please remember to rub out any sensitive/serial numbers before uploading to play safe etc)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Yesterday, 10:22 AM
As originally advised, if I look at the Drobo via Finder the visible data stored on the drive adds ups to approx 4.5TB (Backups 3.8TB, Media 510GB, Poseidon 81mb - see screenshot ref below). I confirm all 10 blue lights are lit.

I notice that the Drobo seems to be frequently self-dismounting - possibly some self protect mechanism when critically low on space?

As suggested I have posted screenshots on imgur at this link http://imgur.com/a/svoUE.

Unless there are some mysterious hidden files which might be deleted, the only obvious solution seems to be to replace the 1TB with another 2TB - though surely I'll be in the exact same position in 3/6 months when that also fills?

(01-18-2017 09:22 PM)Paul Wrote:  thanks for the info spok10128,
with this in mind, it looks like you have the following drives set-up:

2TB + 2TB + 2TB +2TB + 1TB = 9TB Raw capacity
9TB - 2TB (for sdr using an equivalent size of your largest drive) = 7TB Actual
7TB (*0.9 for filesystem overheads) = ~6.3TB available (though probably better at just over 5.9 used)

the 6TB you mention above, seems to match ok, and i think at around 5.9TB used will be the mark where it is 95% used.... it is this 95% used which is the threashold for showing a solid red light, usually on the smallest drive (which matches up with your 1TB drive being marked in this way if i understood correctly)

there is another Yellow threshold which shows a solid Yellow when you get to about 85% used, though am just wondering if you could double check how much data you actually have on your drobo, and also whether the blue lights on the bottom are almost all lit up, possibly 9 or all 10 for you currently?

for example, where did did the 4.5TB used, come from? (are there possibly any other volumes containing data, or maybe some other hidden files and folders taking up space on your drobo?

could you also check what values dashboard shows you for Used space and how many volumes it sees? (you could also try taking some screenshots and posting to imgur or similar, with links pasted to them back here if you like, though if you do that please remember to rub out any sensitive/serial numbers before uploading to play safe etc)