Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
APFS (Apple Filesystem) support
01-25-2017, 02:36 AM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2017 02:40 AM by aratuk.)
APFS (Apple Filesystem) support
This is a feature request from Captain Obvious, and admittedly premature.

But, with Apple having announced today that they are moving all their iOS devices to APFS with their next *point* update to iOS 10, rather than waiting for the next major version, it seems timely to bring it up.

Although they're moving iOS to APFS fairly soon with a point update, for their computers it seems likely they'll wait for the next major version of macOS. With the direct manipulation of the filesystem on Macs, there will be a wider variety of use-cases —like Drobo use-cases— to accommodate.

It would be really cool if Drobo could begin supporting APFS once it's out of beta in macOS. Apple apparently intends to seamlessly convert HFS+ volumes to APFS. Hopefully it will be nearly equally seamless for Drobo to do the same.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-25-2017, 07:01 PM
RE: APFS (Apple Filesystem) support
hi this will be interesting, and hopefully apple wont suddenly start auto-converting any attached devices from hfs to apfs as that might cause problems.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
02-27-2017, 06:59 PM
I too am very interested in how APFS and Snapshots will change the nature of Time Machine and other backup mechanisms.
04-04-2017, 10:11 AM
(01-25-2017 07:01 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi this will be interesting, and hopefully apple wont suddenly start auto-converting any attached devices from hfs to apfs as that might cause problems.

I agree with you about that Apple wont suddenly start auto-converting any DAS device to APFS.
But I can also believe that APFS with TimeMachine together will make big trouble to Drobo 5D. An APFS major volume will require an APFS TimeMachine volume as its backup target.