Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo FS not discovered but pingable
02-16-2017, 04:52 PM
RE: Drobo FS not discovered but pingable
I am having the same problem. Drobo FS is pingable, but not discoverable. I tried taking all of the drives out and booting it, but the light next to the top bay is red, and I see no change in the behavior. Was it supposed to behave differently with no drives in it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2017, 07:54 PM
hi rorichmond,
it might be worth double checking your psu as well, just in case that has any problem as well, for example as mentioned here:
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01615

you may already be aware though if your diskpack is currently outside your drobo, then please remember that diskpacks should only be removed, or inserted, in their entirety and only when power is all Off and cables unplugged.

i think usually an empty drobo should be recognised in dashboard, and with 1st bay red.

it might be worth double checking your firewall or permissions as well, just in case those are somehow preventing drobo from being discovered or accessed properly too, for example as mentioned here: https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01820

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
02-18-2017, 11:33 AM
Thanks Paul.

When I put all the disks back in, it seems to boot normally. The device acquires a DHCP address, and is pingable. I even port scanned it and found it was listening on a couple of ports. All the lights on the front appear to be lit as I would expect.

Very frustrating.

At this point, I just want to get my data off it.
02-20-2017, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2017 04:16 PM by Paul.)
thanks for more info,
can i check if you are connecting the drobo directly or is it going into a hub or router first?

in case that is how it is being connected, then maybe if you can try directly attached to the computer, it might help?

also, can you remember what port you found it listening on? on some other models, if dhcp wasnt assinging an address, i think it picked up an ip on the 169.254.X.X range.
btw there was also a new dashboard version 3 that was released. one of the features mentioned on the release notes pdf was to do with better or quicker ways to discover drobos... it might be worth giving that version a try if your current setup is still not able to find any drobos.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)