Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Volume missing, Disk missing, Drobo Missing
02-01-2017, 11:07 PM
Question Volume missing, Disk missing, Drobo Missing
Ok guys I have a fun one. I have a Drobo 2nd Gen that is causing me a headache. The Drobo is labeled Mac Drobo Pack (henceforth known as MDP) and has two main volumes, Mac Drobo and Untitled (I suck at naming things). It is mounted via Firewire to my MBP. The Mac Drobo the volume (MDV) spent about a week being read only due to errors and now will not mount.
On the front of the MDD there are no blue lights, even though the thing should be at least 75% full, all drive lights are green, the status light is green, and the activity light is green.
[Image: diskutil.png]
On my mac, Drobo Dashboard shows the Mac Drobo Pack with one volume, Untitled. The MDP has the firmware 1.4.2.
In Disk Utility, MDP does not show (usually under TRUSTED Mass Storage, the one that is showing is my other 2nd Gen).
Over in Terminal, using diskutil does show MDP as disk8, MDB as disk8s2 and Untitled as disk8s3.

Using the command
Code:
time diskutil mount readonly disk8s2
outputs
Quote:Volume on disk8s2 timed out waiting to mount

real 0m30.669s
user 0m0.037s
sys 0m0.101s

Do I need to just let MDP sit and work for a while or should I just assume everything is lost and gone?

PS: Even DiskWarrior can't do its Vodoo...it just aborts its job before even getting to the option of fixing the drive after analyzing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2017, 12:40 PM
RE: Volume missing, Disk missing, Drobo Missing
Maybe, try reconnecting!

Perfume Atomizer
02-15-2017, 06:31 PM
hi traisjames,
would you be able to try running diskwarrior again, but this time by using your gen2 with a direct usb cable instead of firewire? (does that make any difference for you?)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
04-05-2017, 04:07 AM
Hello! Very interesting topic, thank you raised it