Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Write timeouts with different disk packs
02-06-2017, 07:34 PM
Write timeouts with different disk packs
I have a puzzling issue with my Drobo 5N.

With a disk pack consisting of 5 x 4TB HGST drives installed, my Drobo boots, mounts, and reads files just fine. However, when trying to write to the share my write function stops and eventually times out. The Drobo activity LED remains active for a few minutes after timeout. This happens with any transfer more than a few hundred MB or so.

After 5-10 retries of the same write the Drobo is fine - I can write/read with no issues at all until reboot.

Here's where it gets weird. With a disk pack consisting of 5 x 3TB Western Digital drives installed my Drobo functions perfectly. No problems at all with read or write. This behavior is consistently reproducible. Any time I switch to the HGST drives I get the same problem.

The WD disk pack was the original set with my 5N. Any insight into why I'm having trouble with writing to my larger disk pack? Anything I can do to fix the problem?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2017, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2017 04:50 PM by Paul.)
RE: Write timeouts with different disk packs
hi lortz987,
maybe some of the HGST drives are behaving in certain ways, (or possibly having some bad sectors that are being re-allocated often, causing delays, until it starts working again), but would you be able to post back with exact model numbers and info about all the drives if you can? (partly from the below, if your dashboard version has this feature)

if you can also have a look in dashboard, can you click on each of the drives and see if there is any additional info there, next to model info, such as a Warning, or Healed label for any of the drives?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply