Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
B800i not showing disk usage accurately
02-21-2017, 11:19 AM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2017 11:22 AM by kevinstrunk.)
B800i not showing disk usage accurately
I've found some threads similar to my problem, but haven't found one that really addresses it. If I missed it, I apologize.

We have two B800i devices, each running 6 4tb drives (24tb per device). We have them partitioned with one 16tb volume, and one 8tb volume. We use them to store backupsets from Backup Exec. The dashboard is way off when looking at usage. For example, one dashboard says 438mb used, while the actual amount is just under 2tb used. The other device has the same data, and shows 993gb used, with the actual usage being just under 2tb. I've updated both the firmware and dashboard software on one of the drobos to the most current version... no change.

Is this a known issue? Is there a fix?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2017, 04:31 PM
RE: B800i not showing disk usage accurately
hi kevin,
while it could be an issue, can i check if you are sure that each device has the same data (in the sense of say, windows explorer giving you the same filesize and file count if you were do do a right-click and 'properties' on the same files/folders on each device?

if they are the same, then could you try a test if you get a moment, where you can try shutting all down, and then trying to only connect 1 of the drobos (ideally the one that was not showing the proper size) and seeing if dashboard (version 3?) seems to now show the correct info?

if not, is there a way to take some screenshots and to upload them to imgur or similar (with links pasted here to them).
if you are able to do that, please remember to rub out any sensitive/serial numbers before uploading to play safe, and maybe we can spot something?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
02-23-2017, 02:58 PM
Hi Paul,

I should have been more clear. Each drobo is connected to a separate Win8 machine, located in different buildings on campus. We use Backup Exec to create backup files on one drobo, and then to duplicate those backups to the second drobo.

When checking the contents of the drobos in Windows Explorer on each Win8 drobo host, three of the volumes reflect the usage consistently. However, there is one 8tb volume that shows 2 files totaling 7kb, but the properties of that folder show 436mb used. And to complicate things, Backup Exec shows 1.96tb worth of data on it. When I browse the contents of the backups on that drobo volume via Backup Exec, the files are present and restorable.

I'm not sure why Backup Exec can access data on the drobos that the drobo Dashboard, along with Windows Explorer, would indicate don't exist.
02-24-2017, 02:51 PM
thanks for the info kevin,

is it possible that the folder contains some special permissions, such as system hidden files?
also does the folder look like it has a very long path structure, (such as when folders become too heavily nested) or some filenames with non-basic characters?

as a question, have you ever successfully run a chkdsk on a b800i volume? (im not sure about that model, though on my das drobos i often run chkdsk on each volume, 1 at a time, usually also if theres something funny going on, or if a program crashes etc), but if you have successfully run it before, then it might be worth running it again without any extra parameters, just to see if it shows you any glaring errors?

for example i usually run it on the volume with just the chkdsk d: (if d is my volume drive letter), and then i would run it as chkdsk d: /x
(until it give me a message about finding no errors)

maybe that can help you too?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
03-02-2017, 11:56 PM
Good day!
I am having the same problem here. I have two Drobo connected on my Mac Pro. My Dorbo 1 is running good but my other Drobo is missing from my Desktop. Both of my Drobo appears on Dashboard and says normal.

Please i do need your help as i need my files immediately.
03-03-2017, 09:15 PM
hi am just linking to your other post with some more info for you here:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=145671&pid=205196