Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Let's Encrypt
03-13-2017, 08:46 AM
Let's Encrypt
Hi I was wondering if anyone has looked into supporting Let's encrypt for SSL certs directly on the Drobo system. I have managed to get a Let's Encrypt certificate on my Drobo 5N, but want to have it automatically update as it only lasts 90 days.

So just want to try and get the renewal automated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-13-2017, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2017 07:38 PM by Paul.)
RE: Let's Encrypt
hi can i check if those types of certs usually only last for 3 months, or if it is just something else that is making it only last for
90 days?

if the 90 days is by design, maybe there is a cron script or some commands that can be scheduled to run (which run the same commands that you did manually when first setting it up?)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
03-14-2017, 02:25 AM
(03-13-2017 07:36 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi can i check if those types of certs usually only last for 3 months, or if it is just something else that is making it only last for
90 days?

if the 90 days is by design, maybe there is a cron script or some commands that can be scheduled to run (which run the same commands that you did manually when first setting it up?)

Paul, the cert is valid for 90 days by design.

In order to create the cert in the first place I had to run the process on my Mac and then manually put the cert on the Drobo.

Certbot - https://certbot.eff.org - is what I think is best to get working but I could not get it running on the Drobo. If we can get this running then yes a crib script should work.

Out of interest I also have a problem getting a cron script to run on my Drobo. Do you have any simple instructions on how to set a simple cron job up and then view logs to check its running.

Thanks

Liam
03-15-2017, 01:00 AM
Depending on what you need to do, DroboAccess and associated apps in the myDrobo category make use of Let's Encrypt to provide personalized yourchoice.mydrobo.com domains

Jason
03-17-2017, 04:09 PM
(btw thanks for the clarification about those certs liam, i hadnt used them before)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
03-28-2017, 10:21 AM
(03-13-2017 08:46 AM)l14mdp Wrote:  Hi I was wondering if anyone has looked into supporting Let's encrypt for SSL certs directly on the Drobo system. I have managed to get a Let's Encrypt certificate on my Drobo 5N, but want to have it automatically update as it only lasts 90 days.

So just want to try and get the renewal automated.

Like you, I generated the certificate elsewhere but use it on the Drobo. I used the dehydrated client which is a simple shell script. I'd think that might be the best chance of running an LE client on the Drobo, however it has a dependency on OpenSSL to generated the CSR, and I don't think there is a DroboApp for OpenSSL. Other dependencies it has are on cURL, sed, grep, mktemp, and I'm not positive about their availability on the Drobo either.

If you're interested in pursuing that, the dehydrated project lives here: https://github.com/lukas2511/dehydrated

Like I said though, I think lack of OpenSSL on the Drobo will be a limiting factor.