Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Replaced bad disk with lower capacity disk
03-13-2017, 03:37 PM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2017 03:38 PM by whiskers.)
Replaced bad disk with lower capacity disk
Hi,

I would be very grateful for any advice about the following problem I have created. My Drobo 5D reported a defective disk. By mistake I replaced the faulty disk with a smaller one. (4TB instead of 6TB). The system was nearly full so I am sure it can not succeed to rebuild. I have the correct new 6TB disk, so can I stop the rebuild and use the correct disk or should I wait for the drobo to give an error? It has 80 hours left on the rebuild. (was 5 x6TB and only 500GB free).

Thanks in advance,
Harold
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-13-2017, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2017 06:20 PM by Paul.)
RE: Replaced bad disk with lower capacity disk
hi harold, can i check when the rebuild started taking place?

if you can also help clarify if the 500GB free is what the drobo was reporting (before the disk became defective, or if that is what it shows you currently),
and also whether your drobo 5d is using single SDR redundancy, or if it is using dual DDR mode, they could be useful to know.... for example, as far as i know, if it has started rebuilding shortly after you swapped out the failed (flashing red?) 6TB drive, it may actually have a way of completing it. (i think a drobo will not start a rebuild if there is not enough space, similar to when DDR mode is only available as an option when there is enough free space)

also, the usual rebuild time for some of the older models is about 1day per 1TB of data that is on the drobo, give or take depending on data usage during the rebuild. (admittedly the newer models are known to rebuild more quickly, though only 80 hours to rebuild about 21.6TB of sdr data, if i understood correctly), does seem a bit quick Smile

with 80 hours currently remaining though, (and with possibly another day elapsed since our posts are read) i would suggest waiting it out a couple more days (or so) to actually fully complete the process it is doing, and then seeing what the main unit and dashboard both show.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
03-13-2017, 11:36 PM
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the feedback. I most likely will leave it. The Drobo reported only 500GB free with critically low space just before the disk failure. I was about to copy off some footage to another Drobo, to make space, but we had a couple of power cuts at the weekend and despite UPS protection the Drobo probably was turned off abruptly twice. I imagine the disk failure resulted from that but am not sure.

I had single redundancy. The rebuilding started 10 hours ago and originally required 120 hours but had come down to 80 after one hour, just before I left last night.

I had two spare disks for the two Drobos I run, one 4TB and one 6TB. Late at night, tired, I replaced the wrong one!

Thank you again for your advice.

Kind regards,
Harold

(03-13-2017 06:18 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi harold, can i check when the rebuild started taking place?

if you can also help clarify if the 500GB free is what the drobo was reporting (before the disk became defective, or if that is what it shows you currently),
and also whether your drobo 5d is using single SDR redundancy, or if it is using dual DDR mode, they could be useful to know.... for example, as far as i know, if it has started rebuilding shortly after you swapped out the failed (flashing red?) 6TB drive, it may actually have a way of completing it. (i think a drobo will not start a rebuild if there is not enough space, similar to when DDR mode is only available as an option when there is enough free space)

also, the usual rebuild time for some of the older models is about 1day per 1TB of data that is on the drobo, give or take depending on data usage during the rebuild. (admittedly the newer models are known to rebuild more quickly, though only 80 hours to rebuild about 21.6TB of sdr data, if i understood correctly), does seem a bit quick Smile

with 80 hours currently remaining though, (and with possibly another day elapsed since our posts are read) i would suggest waiting it out a couple more days (or so) to actually fully complete the process it is doing, and then seeing what the main unit and dashboard both show.
03-15-2017, 09:38 PM
thanks for the info harold, fingers crossed it will turn out ok for you, though please let us know how things turn out

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)