Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo 5d won't show up windows 10 explorer
03-19-2017, 04:47 PM
Drobo 5d won't show up windows 10 explorer
My Drobo 5d will not show up in Windows 10 files explorer whether it is connected via usb3 or usb2. I have installed the most recent Drobo Dashboard and firmware and the health is fine. It has 4 3TB drives in and has 6TB of used space. The drive shows up fine using a Windows 7 computer. The Windows 10 computer is a mac mini (late 2012) with a windows 10 bootcamp partition.
I've researched this issue and found a thread that suggested I go to device management and make sure the drobo volume has a letter assigned.
When I go into disk management , there is no letter assigned and when I right click on the drobo partition, all actions are greyed out except delete volume, so I cannot assign a letter.

I've tried different usb ports,cables, multiple reboots, etc.

I'm out of things to try
Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2017, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2017 06:01 PM by Paul.)
RE: Drobo 5d won't show up windows 10 explorer
hi baldwin,
since your 5d is working ok in windows 7 (and that is always good to know that its working) i was going to suggest trying some different cables and ports, but it looks like you have already tried that.

can i check if your 5d was connected directly via the usb cable, or was it possibly also going through some other hub or adapter when on the mac?

if so, if you can try directly, does that make any difference at all?

(a few times for me, i have had some devices, a drobo included, not show up when my usb ports became locked... but after fully shutting all down and unplugging the usb cables, and waiting for about 10minutes, it was all working fine again with the ports after restarting and connecting again - maybe you could also try that if the direct cable does not work.)

btw if you also happen to have access to another native windows 10 computer, it might be worth trying there as well, as it might help to pinpoint if it is a windows 10 issue, or something with the mac and bootcamp?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
03-21-2017, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2017 11:23 AM by baldwin@colorado.edu.)
Thank you for replying Paul ! Yes, the connection was direct. I think the issue is that the Drobo was originally created on a Mac, so is probably HFS+. Yet, my windows 7 box absolutely mounts it and Kodi reads it fine. I talked to Drobo support who said that was not possible w/o third party software, so I just don't know at this point.
There was no Drobo Dashboard on the Windows 7 machine and my initial plugin was through USB2. For the Windows 10 box, I installed DB and updated firmware, so perhaps that affected something ?

My solution was to buy a <$200 6TB WD hard drive on which I copied all my files from the Drobo. I'm just going to use this box for the Windows 10 use. The Drobo and Mac Mini are used for a Home Theater PC which has worked fine, but Mac OS does not (and will not) support HD audio, so I had to go to Windows to get that.
03-22-2017, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2017 06:02 PM by Paul.)
oh ok thanks for the info baldwin, i didnt know macs wont support HD audio.
it could be something do with windows 10 not liking another format of data, but if you are ok with your solution mentioned above, am ok too Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)