Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
DroboApp HOWTO: minidlna 1.0.19
01-07-2012, 06:18 PM
RE: DroboApp HOWTO: minidlna 1.0.19
I am actually using 1.0.21. I know that it won't recognize MKV files. But is there a reasonw why it doesn't recognize some AVI files? Or why it doesn't recognize some folders at all? It stops about 1/2 way through my folder list.

This thread said I can refresh the DB by deleting the files.db. Is that the safest way?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2012, 04:34 AM
(01-07-2012 06:18 PM)ursapooh Wrote:  I am actually using 1.0.21. I know that it won't recognize MKV files. But is there a reasonw why it doesn't recognize some AVI files? Or why it doesn't recognize some folders at all? It stops about 1/2 way through my folder list.
AVI is just a container. What matters is the codec used for the video/audio tracks. It could be that your AVIs are using some codec that is not supported by this version of minidlna, or that they require some other library that was not included in the compilation.

Malformed files (i.e., defective headers or corrupt data) could be causing the indexer thread to crash, and therefore, stopping the indexing procedure halfway.

Another possibility is that the index is becoming too large to fit in the FS's main memory, and the OS is just killing it. Keep in mind that the DroboFS has only 380 MB of RAM available to apps, and the index of a sufficiently large number of media files could easily fill that. I don't know how many files it would actually take, but my guess is that anything over 50k media files would start to become problematic.

(01-07-2012 06:18 PM)ursapooh Wrote:  This thread said I can refresh the DB by deleting the files.db. Is that the safest way?

You have to delete that file, and restart minidlna (or the whole DroboFS if you do not have SSH access) to ensure that the indexer is started. But yeah, is is safe to delete that file.
03-11-2014, 05:34 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2014 11:03 AM by mrlarkins1.)
I'm having trouble configuring the media_dir. Some assistance would be appreciated for my situation (since I'm a newbie). I was able to install miniDLNA on my DroboFS without any problems. My sharp TV 'sees' the miniDLNA server. But 'no data files found' is all I get.

QUESTION 1:
What should my media_dir be if this is my directory structure on my DroboFS:

/DroboShare Apps
-/miniDLNA

/Public
-/Family Photos
-/Music
-/Kids Movies
-/PG13+

Note the space in some of the directory names, such as "Kids Movies" and "Family Photos". How would I need to finish this:
media_dir=V,/?????? #for kids movies
media_dir=A,/?????? #for music
media_dir=PV,/????? #for family photos

and my drobo holds about 3.5 TB of all of the above,

QUESTION 2:
How long should I wait for the miniDLNA database to have something I am able to 'see'?

On a side note, I am posting this under a newly registered account because for some reason I couldn't log in using my original account. I would type in the username and password (which are correct) and I would be logged in according to https://myproducts.drobo.com/dashboard, but once I clicked on 'Community Support', it showed me as not logged in here in the forums. Any ideas on that?
03-12-2014, 09:42 AM
hi pooh,
one thing you can try is to take 1 of those problematic avi files, and try using them on computer.

if it works, then try to convert it maybe with virtualdubs, and then put it back.

if it works there, then it could mean it was a fileformat/codec issue, rather than a hard memory limit.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
08-17-2016, 05:57 PM
How do you go into the Drobo 5n to alter this configuration file? I tried WinSCP or telnet and I can't get into it. I used the following path to locate this file and no luck. Just not sure what client in windows 10 to use.

smb://drobo/DroboApps/minidlna/etc/minidlna.conf

(05-01-2011 11:46 PM)pmcd Wrote:  
(05-01-2011 02:41 AM)ricardo Wrote:  What kind of output do you get if you run this on an SSH session on the FS:
Code:
cd /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/DroboApps/minidlna/sbin/
./minidlna -d -R -f ../etc/minidlna.conf

Does it show you a lot of output about media being indexed?

I get what appears to be a missing file.

Code:
# ./minidlna -d -R -f ../etc/minidlna.conf
./minidlna: error while loading shared libraries: libexif.so.12: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
#

Do I have to install some libraries?

philip