Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
NSA to store yottabytes of information?
11-02-2009, 12:13 PM
NSA to store yottabytes of information?
http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/11/01/nsa...http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/11/01/nsa-to-store-yottabytes-of-surveillance-data-in-utah-megar

Now, a yottabyte is a trillion terabytes, or only 500 billion of the new 2 TB drives. I sure would like the sales commission on that order!

And you think you've got data backup problems? :-)

Likewise, you think you have network traffic and congestion problems?

But maybe this new site IS the off-site backup. Why else would they put all of that data in one place, where it would be vulnerable to a natural or man-made catastrophe? But maybe the Mormons will erect some invisible shield over them.

Actually, the original article was speculating. Maybe they only need a couple of hundred petabytes.

The comments that follow are hysterical -- all this stuff about the government being 20 years ahead of industry, yada, yada, yada.

I've worked with and around NSA for going on 40 years, and so it is pretty easy to think back to what they had 20, 30, or 40 years ago, vs. what they have now. 40 years ago, they had Walnut, which was a high-capacity storage device built by IBM (where I worked at the time) that used relatively short strips of tape in a juke-box strip-picker. Boy, was that ahead of its time! Boy, did that technology NOT pan out!

DroboPro with five 1TB drives & three 2TB, all WD green; dedicated iSCSI LAN to MacPro with OS-X 10.6.2, 16 GB RAM. Second 2nd V2 with four 2TB WB green drives via FW800. One V1 and one V2, each with 4 1TB drives, connected to my via Mac Mini. Four 1 TB WD Black drives in hardware RAID 0 on the Mac Pro. Local sync with ChronoSync 4.0.4 & CrashPlan+, offsite XP sync via SyncBackPro.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2010, 01:55 AM
RE: NSA to store yottabytes of information?
(11-02-2009 12:13 PM)Suite B Wrote:  40 years ago, they had Walnut, which was a high-capacity storage device built by IBM (where I worked at the time) that used relatively short strips of tape in a juke-box strip-picker. Boy, was that ahead of its time! Boy, did that technology NOT pan out!

Isn't that a tape drive?

-= Ran =-
Drobo S
2x 3TB Hitachi
2x 3TB Western Digital
1x 2TB Seagate
09-18-2012, 02:37 PM
RE: NSA to store yottabytes of information?
Yottabyte, that is a lot of TB drives.