Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
FS and initial iTunes move
01-13-2012, 04:51 PM
FS and initial iTunes move
Anyone had success using the FS and their iTunes library on it?

If I copy the files manually, it take them.

But when I use the Orgainize feature in iTunes, as you should to move your media, it always fails. (-50) error.

I can never get a success in moving them.

My library is approx 1.5TB, and the drobo has the space for the files.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2012, 12:37 PM
RE: FS and initial iTunes move
(01-13-2012 04:51 PM)bigb Wrote:  Anyone had success using the FS and their iTunes library on it?

Honestly even if you move the files over it's a bit of a pain in the butt. The whole idea is to have the Drobo serve the files to iTunes. That requires you to use a different default location in iTunes. Not a huge issue but a) it takes forever for it to load the library and b) it occasionally loses the link and you have to do the whole process all over again.

iTunes really just isn't made for this sort of thing. You can get it to work but it's annoying as anything.
02-20-2012, 08:08 AM
RE: FS and initial iTunes move
It's important to differentiate between the iTunes library files and the iTunes media folder. When I did this I didn't put my iTunes library on the network-attached storage, only the iTunes media folder. This is how I did it.

Copy your iTunes media folder over to the FS using Finder on the Mac or Explorer on Windows. Back up your iTunes Library files (~/Music/iTunes/<various files with Library in the name> on the Mac, no idea on Windows). Shut down iTunes.

You are now going to make a new empty iTunes Library, then add all the stuff from your FS to that. Use this Apple article to create a new iTunes library: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1589 and put it somewhere on your local disk.

When you have that done, go into iTunes preferences in your new empty iTunes and change your iTunes media folder location to the new folder on the FS. The preference is under "Advanced" on the Mac. Don't choose the option(s) that would do anything to your files. Also in the Advanced tab, deselect "Copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library" for the moment (you can select it again afterwards if that's how you normally run).

Go to the File menu, choose "Add to Library", then navigate to the top level of the iTunes folder on your FS, and "Open" it (on the Mac at least). Sit back while iTunes adds all of your files to your new library.

The only downside to this is that you will lose your ratings, play counts, etc. Artwork should come across intact.

When this is done, you will end up with your iTunes library files on your local disc, where they are nice and fast to access, but all your media will be on the FS. I'm doing almost the same setup myself, except I have my media on a Firewire attached 4-bay Drobo.

Drobo V2 w/ 2x3TB WD EZRX Greens+2x5TB WD EFRX Red , second Drobo v2 with 2x3TB + 2x2TB (all WD Greens) on a Mac Mini i7 with Yosemite.