Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
HDD manufacturer's market share
02-17-2010, 03:23 AM
HDD manufacturer's market share
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/17/...http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/17/hdd_suppli

quite interesting

My Avatar is my Panther Chameleon named 'Leon.

I have a owned a Drobo v1, v2, DroboPro, Drobo 5D, DroboFS, Drobo 5N and DroboPro FS

I currently have a Windows 2016 Server with 8 x 8TB Seagate Archive Drives, 14 x 8TB WD Red and 3 x 8TB WD Gold
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2010, 11:54 AM
RE: HDD manufacturer's market share
Indeed. I wonder if WD's venture into other devices (MyDVR Expander, WD TV, etc) has helped to improve their share. That stuff is probably just a drop in the bucket though.

Seems the hard drive industry, like many others, goes through cycles of leadership.

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
02-17-2010, 12:24 PM
looks like seagate have lost a lots of trust with last years firmware misstake.

I would like to end this announcement by saying. DRI, PLEASE GIVE US THE LOGFILE!
02-18-2010, 04:23 AM
yes my 'pro has 4 x hitachi and 4 x wd after i lost a lost of data with 4 x seagates

My Avatar is my Panther Chameleon named 'Leon.

I have a owned a Drobo v1, v2, DroboPro, Drobo 5D, DroboFS, Drobo 5N and DroboPro FS

I currently have a Windows 2016 Server with 8 x 8TB Seagate Archive Drives, 14 x 8TB WD Red and 3 x 8TB WD Gold
02-18-2010, 01:57 PM
ive been working with various disks over many years, seagate has always been my personal preferred choice until the incident with the firmware, ok they have corrected the issue itself finally, but their initial response was to deny it was their fault. now i run most samsung for my own stuff.

I would like to end this announcement by saying. DRI, PLEASE GIVE US THE LOGFILE!
08-28-2010, 07:40 AM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2010 07:41 AM by Paul.)
i remember the old ide wd drives (caviar or something which was a bit flaky the 850meg ones with jumper settings, but that was about 15 years ago) Smile funny thing is that ironically they still seem to be recognised and work in the bios or usb enclosures more than my newer 6-8gib fujistus Smile
(time to dump whats there onto the drobo - i think magnetism only lasts so long unused Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)